Sunday, May 12, 2013

a little insight as to what I am doing and why

This comes from a questionnaire I filled out for something...  the answers are fairly short but give a decent indication of what I am doing and why, if you are curious.


Questions for Web Profile


3. Degree(s) held and from where. 
BS- University of Florida; MS in Environmental Education – Nova Southeaster University; MS in Coastal Zone Management – Nova Southeastern University; currently pursuing PhD in Energy and Environmental Policy – University of Delaware

4. Brief description of your job.
I am a PhD student working towards my degree in Energy and Environmental Policy.  My personal interest is in sustainability and conservation, particularly in the marine and coastal zone.  My research focus is on ecotourism as a tool for conservation and reducing environmental injustice (and not greenwashing). I feel that ecotourism provides travelers with a unique experience and experiential education that can produce a cognitive and emotional shift, and a sense of environmental literacy and connection to the natural world.  This should translate to behavior changes and most importantly today - the overall human perception of the environment and wildlife.


6. Explain how/why your job is important to society.
  We currently face some of the biggest global environmental problems that humanity has ever known.  The ocean is a major part of this and sadly, home to some of these problems, such as: climate change, overfishing, species extinction, pollution, the garbage patch, the list goes on.   We are water beings on a water planet; just one part of the global ecosystem.  Humans are the reason and source of the crises we face today, and the root cause has been our mistaken perception of the earth and our place on it.  It is not here for our exploitation and resource use - it is our home.  The environment and wildlife do not need management, humans do.  I think education is paramount to changing peoples’ perspectives and understanding and thus behavior.  I have selected ecotourism as a research focus for a few reasons.  For one, I have participated in ecotourism and those experiences have helped me become the person I am, with the motivations for sustainability and conservation work rooted deep in my heart as a result.

7. How did you end up doing what you’re doing?
To continue what I said above – I have been lucky enough to travel a lot, mostly ecotour style trips.  Through those experiences, I have developed a deep connection to and appreciation for this planet, the natural world, our nonhuman neighbors, and the immeasurable beauty and sophistication of planet Earth.  There is nothing else in the world for me to do or pursue academically or professionally than exactly what I am doing.  I chose to focus my research and dissertation on ecotourism because I know first hand how powerful it can be.  It is a growing field that can truly help resolve issues of environmental and social injustice, through education, funding, partnerships, etc.  Most importantly – it can truly open peoples’ eyes to what is around them.  I believe ecotourism can be (and is) a powerful instrument towards a true transformation in human attitude and behavior.  It is important that ecotourism retain its integrity, though, as a quickly growing field in an increasingly marketized world.

8. Were you inspired by anyone in particular? If so, who, and how did he/she influence your career choice?
My mother certainly, as she was my first travel buddy!  We traveled a lot together over the course of 10 years or so, it has tapered off now but I still travel when I can.  Through the trips we did, I was able to see places and things that opened my eyes and changed my world!  I met many amazing people along the way.  Another important person was my first graduate advisor, Jane Dougan, who had similarly dedicated her career to environmental education and building a future of individuals like me (and you!)  Hugh Harrop was a naturalist/guide on one of our first trips, to see baby harp seals.  We traveled with him to other places as well and he went on to start his own ecotour company in the Shetlands. There are many but I cannot list them all here.  Most important of all is Mother Earth herself. 

9. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job? 
Doing something that I truly love, following my heart, and knowing that I am doing everything I can to make a positive difference in and for the world. I am lucky to be following my dreams.


11. Describe the most fun and exciting experience you have had during your career.
Some years ago I worked with sea turtles in South Florida.  The work was not easy, but incredibly rewarding.  Hatchling releases were some of the most fun “work” experiences because they are the most adorable little things, and its amazing to think someday, hopefully, a couple of them will turn into 300 +lb sea turtles!  It was great to share that with people in the form of education experiences, too.  It never stops being a thrill and a beautiful thing to see, no matter how many times you see it.

12. Describe the most disappointing or frustrating experience you have had during your career.
Doing something you love and are so passionate about and interacting with those who simply do not care, understand, or have any interest whatsoever.  It can be a very unpleasant reminder of exactly what we are up against in the world today.  People who take no responsibility for their actions or even try to undermine the work we do.  It is important to not let that bring us down though – have to keep fighting!




No comments:

Post a Comment